Just In Case is an app created by a Clinical Psychologist! It captures your life story and allows you to share it with your loved ones and/or health professionals just in case something bad was about to happen such as memory loss, dementia, accidental brain injury or any mental health difficulty i.e. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms among military veterans, or simply for anyone who wants to find out more about themselves.
Recording and then sharing your entries is the only way to truly understand your needs, even when you are not able to communicate them anymore with those around you. This, in turn, could inform and lead to more individualized and effective care if you ever need it.
This app has six sections:
Personal Details – this category includes any piece of information that relates to you. You can record here:
– Date of Birth;
– Marital Status;
– Sexual Orientation;
– Personality Type;
– Long Term Condition;
Important Facts – this category includes any piece of information that has a special or hidden meaning to you. You can record here:
– Important People – for example: family members, friends, celebrities, politicians or any other person who is significant to you;
– Important Dates & Events – for example: the birth of your child, your wedding day or any other date or an event that occurred throughout your life and has a great importance to you.
– Important Places – for example: your hometown, tourists attraction or any other place which has a special meaning to you;
– Important Abilities & Skills – all the skills and abilities that you have acquired through your lifetime, for example: driving a car, playing a musical instrument or having excellent communication skills;
– Achievements – some kind of accomplishment in your life that you are proud of, for example: passing a driving test, completing a marathon or raising a certain amount of money for charity;
– Traumatic Events – any event that caused you physical, emotional or psychological harm, for example: death of family member, divorce, natural disaster or domestic abuse;
– I find comforting when I feel SAD – anything that lessens your sadness and cheers you up, for example: a gentle comforting hug, listening to music or bowl of chicken noodle soup;
– I find calming when I am ANXIOUS – something that calms you down, for example: yoga, practice diaphragm breathing or talking to a friend;
– Other – here you can add anything else that is of great significance or value to you.
Habits – this category includes any piece of information that relates to your behaviour that is repeated regularly and tends to occur subconsciously. You can record here the following habits:
– Personal – for example: flossing your teeth every morning, bedtime ritual, going to the gym twice a week or any other activity of your day that you have developed over the years;
– Food & Drinks – for example: eating cereals for breakfast, having lunch at 12pm every day, cooking a new recipe for dinner every night, being a vegan or any other eating or drinking habits which you have made them part of your routine;
– Other – here you can add anything else that you do often and regularly.
Likes – this category includes any piece of information that relates to things or activities you enjoy or feel positive about. You can record here:
– Hobbies – for example: fishing, doing crossword puzzles, playing football or any other activity that you practice or do regularly;
– Interests – something that you have a liking for and you may or not do it, for example: martial arts, photography or art;
– Music & Films – for example: “Yesterday” by The Beatles, “The Shawshank Redemption (1994)” or any other title of the song or film that you really like;
– Food & Drinks – for example: pizza, roast dinner, green tea or any other food or drink that you really like;
– Colours – for example: blue, red, green or any other colour that you really like;
– Seasons & Months – for example: autumn, July or any other season or month that you really like;
– Other – here you can add anything else that you enjoy or feel positive about.
Dislikes – this category includes any piece of information that relates to things or activities you do not enjoy or feel distaste for. You can record here:
– Fears – for example: heights, insects, flying, enclosed spaces or anything else you are afraid of;
– Music & Films – for example: “Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice, “Batman & Robin (1997)” or any other title of the song or film that you really dislike;
– Food & Drinks – for example: dark chocolate, liver, hot beer or any other food or drink that you really dislike;
– Colours – for example: grey, purple, yellow or any other colour that you really dislike;
– Seasons & Months – for example: spring, February or any other season or month that you really dislike;
– Other – here you can add anything else that you do not enjoy or feel distaste for.
Bucket List – experiences or achievements that you hope to have or accomplish during your lifetime, for example: skydiving, swimming with sharks or meeting a celebrity. There is a feature here that you can tick a box once you have completed your goal.
The information recorded in those sections will help other people learn about you as an individual and understand your needs, values and beliefs. This could help to plan, encourage and engage you in enriching, appropriate and meaningful activities based on your life-long hobbies, interests, abilities and disabilities. It would also enable to design a physical environment which is personalized, familiar to you, understandable and consistent with your recorded experiences. In addition, knowledge of your fears will allow those involved in your care to make every effort to avoid conversations, situations and activities that could trigger those fears.
All of the above can be easily recorded in our app and shared with people you choose. It might be your friends, family members or health professionals. All information will be saved in a PDF format for an easy access.
Therefore, if you think this app is for you, download it from the App Store and from today onward you start recording your Personal details, Important facts, Habits, Likes, Dislikes and Bucket list!